Parish History

OVER 100 YEARS OF FAITH IN TACOMA

On January 2, 1915, the Most Reverend Edward J. O’Dea, Bishop of Seattle, established Holy Cross Parish, appointing Reverend Aloysius Mlinar as the first pastor. The first Mass was offered in the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Kruzic, at 4924 North Orchard.

For a time, mass was held in Old Town Tacoma, at the Sokol Hall, the Slavonian Lodge Hall located on North 49th. When the hall was destroyed by fire a few months later, Mass was celebrated in Ruby Hall at North Pearl and Ruby. During this time, the Dominican Sisters from Aquinas Academy led catechism classes for children.

In the summer of 1916, the Dominican Sisters built and staffed Holy Cross School. The upper floor of the school was used for the celebration of mass until May 1921, when the temporary church was built. In 1919, Fr. Theodore Ryan oversaw the building of the Rectory, which today serves as both the Rectory and Parish Offices.

In 1940, the Sisters established a Convent at Holy Cross, which the parish purchased in 1952. In July 1954, an addition to the school was completed, which included five classrooms, furnace room, and lavatory facilities. The school closed in 1977.

On December 1, 1957, the present church was completed and dedicated. In 1983, the Perpetual Adoration Chapel was dedicated. Builders broke ground on August 6, 2000 for the construction of a new Parish Hall. On July 1, 2001 Archbishop Alexander J. Brunnett blessed the completed building.
 

BRIEF HISTORY


1915 Parish Established
1916 School Opened
1919 Rectory Built
1921 First Church Built
1940 Convent Established
1954 New Addition to School
1957 Dedication of New Church
1977 School Closed
1983 Perpetual Adoration Chapel Dedicated
2001 Dedication of New Parish Hall

 

 

OUR PARISH PRIESTS

Rev. Aloysius Mlinar 1915-1918
Rev. Theodore M. Ryan 1918-1922
Rev. T.J. Madigan 1922-1925
Rev. J.E. O’Brien 1925-1931
Rev. Joseph P. Brennan 1931-1934
Rev. Martin Duggan 1934-1969
Rev. Patrick Godley 1969-1977
Rev. Raymond Heffernan 1977-1985
Rev. Desmond McMahon 1985-1986
Rev. Richard Gallagher 1986-1988
Rev. David White 1988-1994
Rev. Sean Heneghan 1994-1995
Rev. Robert F. Rekofke, S.J. 1995-2009
Rev. John Renggli 2009-2016
Rev. Ronald Knudsen 2016-Present

 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!